Sugar Cookies with Orange GlazeDec 01, 2021 09:12AM ● By Two Eagles Marcus
by Pompeian Oils & Vinegars
Many holiday hosts tend to pull out their most treasured family recipes when entertaining loved ones. After all, taste is the most important aspect of most holiday spreads, particularly when it comes to favorite baked goods and desserts.
Put a better-for-you twist on your baked classics this holiday season by swapping out less healthy cooking fats like butter, canola oil and vegetable oil with an option like Pompeian Light Taste Olive Oil. Ideal for baking desserts like these Sugar Cookies with Orange Glaze, as well as frying, this light tasting olive oil provides a healthier take on your holiday recipes without impacting the taste you and your guests love. This olive oil is high-quality and authentic, backed by a brand that has been perfecting the craft of olive oil since 1906.Find more better-for-you holiday recipe inspiration at Pompeian.com/recipes.
Sugar Cookies with Orange Glaze
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Pompeian Light Taste Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened milk of choice
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus additional if needed, for thickening
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- orange slices or blood orange slices, for topping
- sugar, for topping
- To make cookies: Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- In large bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine.
- Add olive oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Stir until crumbly dough forms.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk; stir until soft dough ball forms, adding more milk if needed.
- Place dough ball on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough until 1/4-inch thick. Using jar lid or other circular object, cut out cookies; place on baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake 8-10 minutes; do not overbake. Set aside to cool.
- To make glaze: In small bowl, stir powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice and salt until thick glaze forms. Add more juice, if needed, to thin out glaze or add more powdered sugar to thicken.
- When cookies are cooled, glaze them. Top with orange slices or blood orange slices and pinch of sugar.