Wyoming, MI 49519
A HISTORY AND A FUTURE OF INNOVATION
This dream began in the early days of World War II, with a group of doctors dedicated to the ideal of patient-centered, holistic care.
They took out second mortgages and borrowed on their life insurance policies to open a 28-bed osteopathic hospital in a converted house in Grand Rapids. They promoted their dream as a “a friendly home of hope and hospitality.”
Today that dream has grown into the 170-acre Metro Health Village, anchored by the award-winning Metro Health Hospital and with a network of convenient community-based offices throughout West Michigan.
1942: Founded as Grand Rapids Osteopathic Hospital in converted home on Lake Drive in Southeast Grand Rapids.
1957: Moves to new building on Boston Street in Southeast Grand Rapids. Multiple expansions followed.
1985: Name changes to Metropolitan Hospital.
2003: Construction begins on Metro Health Village in Wyoming.
2005: Name changes to Metro Health.
2007: Metro Health Hospital opens at Metro Health Village.
2009: Relationship begins with University of Michigan Health, through radiation oncology services at the hospital’s cancer center. This is followed by formation of clinical relationships and expansions in gastroenterology, neurosciences, pulmonology, cardiology, endocrinology, pediatric cardiology and pediatric endocrinology
2016: Affiliation with U-M formalized as Metro Health – University of Michigan Health. The Grand Rapids Business Journal recognizes the significance of this accomplishment with Newsmaker of the Year nominations for Metro CEO & President Michael Faas and his counterpart at the U-M Health System, Marschall Runge, executive vice president for medical affairs and dean of the U-M Medical School.
Today: The 208-bed acute-care osteopathic teaching hospital serves 250,000 patients and 61,500 emergency patients a year, with more than 500 physicians on staff. Metro operates 30 neighborhood outpatient centers and offices in West Michigan.